[ENH][Modules] Another version

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Sep 22 18:12:57 UTC 2001

Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> wrote:
> danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
>
> > BTW, would these DM be submodules or imports? can DMs be submodules?
> > (I'm still trying to pin those concepts down...)
> I think they should be submodules of your project, as they are "part" of it.
Oh, thanks Henrik, now that you gave me this clear-cut practical
heuristic, I know exactly what should be done! ;-)

I think in this case, I'd make them submodules of my project so when I
see them they'll remind me to nag the base module owners to include them
(where applicable).

> I don't see why it would be a problem to associate String changes with the
> module that String is in? Surely which module it is in shouldn't change much
> either? Not having this info would make conflict resolution much uglier.
First of all, this is not a black or white issue. Having an explicit
dependency on a module that's fast changing helps handle that change.
But when the code is already slow changing, then the dependency info
becomes cruft - something arbitrary between you and getting code to
work. We just need to make sure that cruft doesn't get to be a problem.

If you can tell the module system to just forget the explicit
dependencies, and load the code, I guess we'll be fine.

If the system can check that the messages I sent are implemented, load
the code, and try to recalculate dependencies, that'll be even better.

> Henrik

Anyway, thanks for your time.

C'ya!
Daniel