[Module] Ginsu for 3.1 (was: extremely dissapointed)

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat Sep 22 20:48:48 UTC 2001

ducasse stephane <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> hi Daniel
>
> have you any idea where I could find LinkedMessageSet this is Ginsu but not
> in sq31 neither in your rb version.
I got the attached file out from the SWTDev0.6 image. Hope it helps.

> I'm continuing. I was just saying that not replying to email and key
> questions is frustrating. Because as a scientific guy I would like to
> understand
>     - if namespace do/or not (I'm favor or not) have to be coupled with
> module.
>     - do we need a scoping mechanism or not
>     - how teamV/Envy style hampers open distribution of fix and enhancement?
I agree, I've seen no real information on these questions.
I think the need for modular distribution of code, loading and
unloading, and better ability to work with uninstalled code, is much
clearer than the need for any semantic changes.

[Modules are jinxed]
> There are not. There are the only way to manage complexity [snip]
They are too ;-). Sure, we need them, I agree. But it doesn't mean I
have to like them. And they do stink up languages - look at .h files in
C, all those annoying headers in Pascal, even Haskell has them, and in
the little I've played with Hakell, they've been pretty annoying. The
good thing is in Smalltalk we'll feel them less because the tools mostly
hide them..

[Description of Ginsu contents]
Thanks.

Daniel