[Ann] [Module] prealpha port of Ginsu available at Squeak Foundation

ducasse stephane ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 23 13:39:56 UTC 2001

I forgot the Module tag sorry
----------
From: ducasse stephane <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:41:21 +0200
To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org, modsqueak at bluefish.se
Subject: [Ann] prealpha port of Ginsu available at Squeak Foundation

Hi all

I put the port I made of Ginsu availabel at SqueakFoundation
http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/stablesqueak/1
This  is the first release. The graphical tools do not work because I do not
know how to port 2.8 morphic into 3.1 so if somebody can help me this would
be great.

The zipped file contains everything to build Ginus from a Squeak3.0-4332
image. You should load first the RB paroject and remove the test of RB else
this is toolong ;)

I tested the zipped file and recreated everything well so normally you
should not have problem. However, I will try to updload my images to the
SqueakFoundation Wiki but my bandwidth is small ;). I tired but failed
several times ;(

Things that have to be done:
   - fix the tests
   - complement the semanticl model (or find a way to remove it I was
wondering if we could not have a globalVariableDefinition and
ClassDefinition in palin Smalltalk but causally connected).
   - fix the UI so that we can use the tools
   - work on the versioning

Stef

So I'm waiting for your feedback.
Ask me I can send you the file directly but this is 300 k zipped

There is a readme loader file:

| directoryName fileNames directory file |
directoryName := FillInTheBlank
    request: 'Directory name?'
    initialAnswer: (Date today monthName asString, Date today dayOfMonth
asString).
fileNames := OrderedCollection new
    add:  ('Base Image Extensions.cs');
    "add: ('ScriptManager.cs');"
    add:  ('EventManagerSWT04a.st');
    add:  ('TestEventManagerSWT04.st');
    add:  ('Modules.cs');
    add:  ('SIF.cs');
    add:  ('TestSIFSWT04in31.cs');
    add:  ('Repository.cs');
    add:  ('ModuleToolsnoFileListin31.cs');
    add:  ('ModuleSIFAndReposTestsin31.cs');
    add:  ('QuickFixesnoFileList.cs');
    add:  ('ModSqueak.2.cs');
    yourself.
directory := FileDirectory default directoryNamed: directoryName.
fileNames do:
    [:fn |
    file := directory readOnlyFileNamed: fn.
    ChangeSorter
            newChangesFromStream: file
            named: (FileDirectory localNameFor: fn)].

"To build the modules, open a Transcript to see it working"
"(Smalltalk at: #ModuleOrganizer) perform: #rebuildModules."

"To run the tests"
"TestModel openAsMorph"
"when you run the tests you should have 210 run, 8 failed, 30 errors.
They should be fixed ;). However what is worth looking at is:
    that package installer perform checks and raise appropriate exceptions
    for example browse the failed test PackageTestCase>>testPrereqs and
testNoPrereqError

The same goes for ClusterTestCase>>testVisibleClasses, testUnboundNames,
testInvisibleSuperclasses.
All the important aspects of the computation are validated by tests. This is
really good."

"Apparently the version of Sunit I used does not support test resources so
the test ClusterTestCase
is broken"

"To change the repartition of the classes in modules, or the module
structure
look at the class ModuleBuilder.
I made a small methods that check the class that do not exist in the
definition.
I changed a bit the definition hence rb is not classified. Apparently there
are also functionality to recreate the spec of the modules but I did not
try"

"For now the tools do not work because there are morphic 2.8 and I do not
know how to fix that,
so if you want to see something Try"

"ModuleOrganizer current inspect"
"You can then go over the modules and check the structure. I agree with the
tools support
this would be really better. For example you can see that Compiler is
dependent of Kernel and
that it has dependents. Clearly the versions are missing."