Performance profiling results...

Rob Withers rwithers12 at mediaone.net
Wed Sep 26 12:37:05 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Rowledge" <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> Unfortunately, due to a serious weakness in Squeak's file handling, you
> will need to set executable permissions for some of the files in
> src/utils and src/configure (Rob - is that all? I'm a long way from my
> unix machine right now.

Yes.   I use the following commands

chmod 755 src/configure
chmod 755 src/util/*

> Then, stealing from Markus
>
> > 4. read BUILD.UnixSqueak
> > 5. to compile the vm do
> >                mkdir build
> >                cd build
>                 ../src/configure
> >                make
> >    and you will have a brand new vm in your build-dir.
> Remember to cp squeak and *.so to your working directory so you can use
them...

Note that the *.so files  reside in a hidden directory by the name of .libs,
in the build directory

> > Stage III: testing a VM inside the image.
> > ----------
> >
> > Yes, there is really a reason to write a VM in Squeak (or SLANG).
> > (Besides not wanting to write C, of course. But writing SLANG is
> > like writing C with Smalltalk syntax, so this point is somewhat
> > questionable anyway...)
> > The real reason: You can develop and *DEBUG* the VM inside Squeak!
> >
> > For more, see the class comment of "InterpreterSimulator".
> This is really a very important point. Being able to run the altered VM
> in simulation is stunningly useful when inventing new and exciting ways
> to crash your machine.

I have tried this before, but my image is too large, I beleive.  Should we
use a majorShrink image to run in the  InterpreterSimulator?

Rob