Not profiling 'Delay>>wait'

Doug Way doug.way at riskmetrics.com
Wed Sep 26 18:53:24 UTC 2001

One thing you can do if you need to set a halt in a frequently called
method is to define a global in a workspace such as:

FirstHalt := true.

And then in your Delay>>wait method, insert a halt like this:

FirstHalt ifTrue: [FirstHalt := false.  self halt].

This will only halt the first time it runs across this.  Another thing
you can do is set up a shiftHalt method that checks to see if shift is
pressed, but that's a bit more work.

Anyway, hiding Delay>>wait in message tallys sounds like a good idea in
some ways, although I would probably prefer to add a comment in the
tally indicating that it represented idle time, and/or move Delay>>wait
down to the bottom of the tally, rather than hide it completely.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com