[SqueakNews]OOPSLA Blues

Editor - Squeak News editor at squeaknews.com
Thu Sep 27 14:48:01 UTC 2001

Dear Squeakers,

Squeak News will not be able to have an official presence in OOPSLA
this year. Since it would be a good opportunity to introduce Squeak  and
Squeak News to OOPSLA visitors, we are asking for people who will
attend OOPSLA to help us get the word out. I have about a few hundred
flyers and a few posters that I could send to volunteers. We'll offer
discounted subscriptions or subscription extensions to people who join
this activity and if you haven't seen Squeak News we have a limited
number of past issues we can send to you in lieu of a portion of your
discount. Since the flyers, posters, T-shirts and past issues are limited
we can only accept a limited number of volunteers. I would love to
offer much more free stuff and discounts for OOPSLA and extensions
for all subscribers but we have just past the point that we can break
even the material we use (not labor) and after the September 11 events
things look much tougher. Still hopefully with your help I believe
we'll come to that level soon.

As for me I won't be able to attend, in fact so far it looks like I will be
quite inaccessible even via email during most of October due to
reasons far beyond my control, and I will ask Leandro Caniglia, editor
of the Spanish edition of Squeak News to step in as the editor of the
October issue and some volunteers to answer queries I can't attend to
during that time.

If any of you are interested in helping us would you please reply directly
to me with the following information ASAP? Since I'll mail these by
Monday I have to pack them on Sunday. This imposes a deadline of
midday Sunday approximately.

Although this note is written for OOPSLA if you know of any other venues
that you think people would be interested please let me know as well.

Happy 5th Birthday Squeak and happy OOPSLA!

Tansel Ersavas
Squeak News
http://www.squeaknews.com

Please select, fill in and include in your reply all that apply from the
following:

(    ) have already seen an issue of Squeak News
(    ) would like to get a copy so I know what it is like
        (small CD    / Regular CD     )

I would like to help introduce Squeak News to the attendees
    of OOPSLA and/or _________________
    in the following way(s):

I could
(     ) talk to people about Squeak News
        (how many:       )
(     ) hang a small poster about Squeak News to one or more
        of the notice boards (how many:     )
(     ) have access to a stand that I know and we can place
        some flyers at a corner of that stand
        and/or we can offer _________________

(     ) wear a Squeak News T-shirt (very limited quantities,
        probably white, size:        )
        Warning: must have no objection to wearing T-shirt
        with cute colorful mice and bright colors!
(     ) demonstrate Squeak News to people
        (approx. ___ people)
(     ) hand out flyers (where:                     how many:        )
(     ) hand out flyers at BoF (how many :      )
(     ) place flyers on a public desk for people to take
        where approx.  ___ people can pick up.
(     ) do other things such as :

Thanks for your help