Which Squeak is preferred for Mac OS X ?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 28 00:34:17 UTC 2001

>[I couldn't find this information anywhere (mailing list or minnow)]
>
>If I understand it correctly there seem to be several different
>versions:
>
>- Carbon
>- Cocoa
>- Classic
>
>Is there a preferred version (I've only played with
>the Cocoa version so far) ? And a list of
>which one has what (if any ) feature running under Mac OS X ?
>[eg. I've noticed full screen doesn't seem to work in the
>  Cocoa version - is anything else not working in it?]
>
>Thanks
>
>-Andy-
Ah, a good question, I don't know. However the difference I know about are:

The classic and carbon versions use the same code base, baring some
68K, & carbon specific features. But the Carbon version differs from
the classic version in the following areas.

a> Navigation services is different, which appears only if you choose an image.
b> No serial port or joystick or MIDI
c> Sound playback uses a different logic (no one has complained about that)
d> Memory is allocated then resized at 1GB to enable Squeak under
OS-X to grow up to 1GB. Under classic or OS-9 memory is fixed at what
the partition size is.
e> The carbon version might sleep for 16ms if things are idle, this
prevents CPU usage from being 100% all the time.
f> OS-X carbon full screen support has a bug you've not found yet.

So which to use. Well if you boot between os-x and classic then
perhaps the carbon version is better. Having squeak run as a carbon
version under os-x means you don't need to worry about memory size
issues and how your work gets disrupted when MS Word causes classic
to crash.

The Cocoa version, well you'll need to look at functionality and
performance. It is afterall a newly written code base and uses obj-c
so in some respects doesn't have all the messy code found in the mac
version that was written over the last N years. Then again does it
behave in the same manner (bugs and all?)

Part of the problem right now is that we still need a classic version
to allow pre system 9.x or was that pre system 8.6 users to use
Squeak. Maybe in a year we'll get to the point where we can run a
pure carbon version.

Oh, and my understanding (limited knowledge gained in the crypts of
paris) was that Jitter 4 would be a pure OS-X version.