Localization in code

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Fri Sep 28 01:37:11 UTC 2001

Andreas,

I spent a bit more time thinking about this issue.  In the interests of
getting started, I dashed off a class that can perhaps serve as the
beginnings of the localization of strings in Squeak.  I haven't spent a heck
of a lot of time on this, but perhaps you can use this as a starting point
tonight -- I've got to get home and get some dinner in me.  Fortunately,
you're living 3 hours earlier in the day!

Cheers,

---==> Chris

PS>  My thinking is that we might simply use a LocalizedString instead of a
String when we need to display something to the user.  A LocalizedString is
basically just a wrapper on a dictionary of translated strings (at: language
symbol put: translated string).  Of course, there is no reason why we can't
also use LocalizedString to also hold specialized strings, like Yoshiki's
special strings.