Zurgle Project Update

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Sep 29 00:32:06 UTC 2001

"Jim Benson" <jb at speed.net> is widely believed to have written:

> I haven't quite figured out how menu bars fit into Squeak. This is just some
> demo code that I threw in at the last second just to demonstrate what they
> look like.
All joking aside, menubars do have some small virtue. They are one,
almost reasonable, incarnation of the old 'I see and I remember'
principle originally used to explain the value of popup menus.
Personally I think they tend to use up too much screen space, but they
do remind people that there is interaction available.  One of the reaons
I have always prefered the Acorn UI is that the menu bar is a popup
menu; in the sense that it does not exist as an always-there space
waster, but appears in response to pressing the menu button much like
Squeak. However, in an attempt to make it easier to explain the system,
they decided that the top level menu would normally have submenus for
the actual choices which is why I would categorise it as a menu bar
of sorts. It actually works quite well.

tim

Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.