Computerchannel.de: Squeak 3.0 tested

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Sun Sep 30 23:03:58 UTC 2001

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 09:00:36PM +0200, Karl Ramberg wrote:

[snip]

> The way I learned was by finding a simple morphic demo or program,
> change a few parameters, open the morph and see what had happened...
> Do this over and over again until you know what to change to get
> what you want. Then expand by cutting and pasting in code from other
> places, testing and debugging a few thousen times you will suddenly
> just know how to do it the next time.

Ditto for me, too.  I can't quite remember where I started...I think
I began dissecting some of the simpler stuff like Tetris, and then
Celeste.  I learned a lot in a very short time, which really amazed me.
And this includes the classes that don't even have class comments!

It always amazes me how Squeak-- Smalltalk-- is so 'self educating'.  Heck,
the only Smalltalk book I have is the old Purple book, which I've only read
about half of...and I only recently acquired both the "white" book and the
"dark blue" book (which are all excellent reading, I must say).