[OT] aRts (KDE) and Squeak...one year later

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Sun Sep 30 23:10:10 UTC 2001

Hi folks:

I think about a year ago I was experimenting with 'artsdsp' and Squeak.
Arsdsp magically forwards all of Squeak's sound calls to a sound daemon.
A year ago, it worked rather poorly with the nasty side-effect of driving
CPU usage up to 100%.

I've been playing with it with the latest artsd shipped with the latest KDE
and everything seems a lot better.  Even speech synth (which didn't work
a  year ago) is working over aRts.  I haven't seen the 100% CPU problem
happen either.

So, for any aRts (or KDE, as I use aRts with Window Maker) users out there,
you can just do 'artsdsp squeak SomeImage.image' and Squeak will magically
work with aRts...I haven't had any problems so far.

I wonder how difficult a VM plugin for aRts would be?