Fixed limits in the image. (was Re: ...)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Mon Apr 1 05:38:46 UTC 2002

Hi Scott,

> The reason is that the compiler takes these constants and inlines them
into various code in
> the image. Thus, these can't be changed without retranslating the
interpreter.

	The size of these arrays are now variables and the 'arrays' are
dynamically allocated.

	'Interp.c' was searched for these constants and replaced with
variables, so I hope this approach is as good as retranslating the
interpreter with new arrays size.

	Unless, of course, these constants are used and hard coded into
other thingies. Maybe that's the reason why it's so hard to modularise
Squeak ?

	While I was searching for these constants, I felt quite itchy
when I saw arrays initialised from 1 instead of 0. But I know it's wise
to leave it alone ;-)

	So far, I have no troubles playing my FreeCell with this
configurable VM, as long as I do not use a small array for atCache and a
big array for methodCache. It also survives Macro Benchmarks, no
crashing.

	While I get hold of you, what's the status of the integration
between your and Scott's enhancements to the VM ? Please keep up with
the good work.

	Thanks for your help, I appreciated it.

	Cheers,

	PhiHo.