No Background?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Apr 1 21:01:34 UTC 2002

On Monday 01 April 2002 12:58 pm, Malachi Clark wrote:
> Thank you.  That gets me a step closer, now, the question still stands if I
> can make the world background transparent?  I want to be able to see and/or
> interact with things 'behind' the squeak environment, to turn off the
> background and ScreenController, and just have what I want out there.  Is
> that possible with squeak as it stands now?

What do you mean "interact with things behind"? If you're trying to have
multiple objects in Squeak that each have their own OS-level window, that's
not provided for in the stock Squeak as far as I know.

Perhaps Andreas could suggest something with ExternalScreens.

The problem is a basic packaging one: stock Squeak gets one (or 2 in the case
of full-screen X) OS-level windows. The windowing system generally will only
send input to a window that has input focus (however that's determined).

All of the objects that are drawn in Squeak are drawn on one big display
surface that's mapped to the one window.

I'm sure other models are possible, but not out of the box.

Perhaps if you could share what you're trying to accomplish we could help.

Some possibilities off the top of my head:

* multiple Squeaks running, each in their own (perhaps borderless) window
* one Squeak using multiple ExternalScreens to draw on (lots of work probably)
* interact with window manager to change Z order of other windows as needed
* do all of what you have to do in one full-screen Squeak

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com