Self in C++

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Apr 1 22:22:50 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 02 April 2002 00:18, Bijan Parsia wrote:
> D'oh! I grovel. I think I confused the Smalltalk in Self with Self
> itself.

I am probably the source of your confusion. Sorry. I did write a Self
in Self - http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/tiny.html#rel1

Since it is an interpreter, it isn't very practical (if you already
have a Self to run it on, then you don't really need it) and was never
debugged enough to be actually used. A Self in Self compiler, on the
other hand, would be a great thing to have since it could be
bootstrapped into running directly on some hardware.

> I still, personally, wouldn't want to port GCC to Smalltalk, but
> that's *just* me. I wouldn't want to port it to Java, either. Hell, I
> don't even want to *run* it, or even have it on my hard disk, or GOD
> JUST KNOWING ABOUT IT IS CAUSING MY EYEBALLS TO EXPLODE!!!!

Just compare Alan Purdy's translator with Ian's Jitter. The whole point
in having a GCC in Smalltalk is not having it look at all like GCC ;-)

> Ahem.
>
> I trust the spectacle I just made of myself has distracted everyone
> from the fact that I was in grotesque error.

Don't worry if reality doesn't match the opinion you expressed. I am
changing reality so that it does... just be patient.

-- Jecel