[Q] Squeak as IR Remote Control, was: Re: Lego Mindstorm and Squeak

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Tue Apr 2 17:54:20 UTC 2002

I've been looking at various approaches to using Squeak to send Consumer
infrared remote control signals.

I've been looking at LIRC and at various places around the web but haven't
found anything that seems easy to adopt. I am specifically looking for an
iPaq solution, but a cross-platform approach would be desirable.

Has anybody done anything with Squeak in this area? I know the Mindstorm kit
uses consumer IR.

My guess is that it isn't too hard to code, if one only knows what one's
doing (and I don't). A Slang primitive for sending the signals, and then the
rest in ordinary Smalltalk. The problem with the primitive seems to be
getting the timing right.

Henrik