Initial startup delay in 3.2g -- why?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Apr 2 23:07:35 UTC 2002

>I've been trying to figure out why stock 3.2g images take about 3 seconds to
>start processing events (you can see this most easily by watching Squeaky's
>eyes as you move the mouse, or by clicking on text and looking for the
>highlight/cursor).
>
>With the same VM, the 3.0 images don't exhibit this delay.
>
>I see the same delay if I turn sound off in the image.
>
>Any suggestions? I don't really feel like using gdb today.

Mm you could put a print to transcript, or collect the ms clock
somewhere in
SystemDictionary>>processStartUpList:

which gets run really early at startup time.

Then collect some more ms clock values in
EventSensor>>processEvent:

Which indicates when events start coming in from the VM.

mmm and maybe over in
HandMorph>>generateMouseEvent:

to capture when Morphic thinks about processing it.