[Q] Squeak as IR Remote Control, was: Re: Lego Mindstorm and Squeak

Dave Hylands dhylands at broadcom.com
Tue Apr 2 23:36:27 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Consumer IR".

Lego Mindstorms uses a really simple IR protocol. I copied the following
from: http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/ under Communication:

    "The IR protocol associated with sending a "message"
    to the RCX is pretty simple. Bit encoding is 2400 bps,
    NRZ, 1 start, 8 data, odd parity, 1 stop bit. A '0'
    is coded as a 417us pulse of 38kHz IR, a '1' bit is
    417us of nothing.

VCR type remotes use one of several protocols, which usually involve some
sort of carrier/non-carrier sequence to send a single bit. This link
describes a variety of the remote control protocols:
http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/remote/

The iPAQ uses IrDA, which is yet again a different protocol.
http://www.irda.org/

LIRC exists to hide most of the details of how a particular protocol works
and allow you to get on with sending data.

Dave Hylands