[Q][VM][ENH][RFH][COMP] Request For Help : CompilerPlugin

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Thu Apr 4 00:01:05 UTC 2002

Hi Karl,

> Have you looked at dynamic primitives:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/300

	Thanks for the pointer. I came across it when first lurking
around but didn't try it because I do not have a PPC box. Besides, it
seemed that for some reason, that project was put in the back burner.

	The approach seems to be something between a true JIT and the
preJIT named primitives.

	The author seems to stress on the fact that the primitives are
translated into machine code. I do not know if other regular bytecodes
would benefit from the implementation.

> Nicer solution with Squeak to Metal than Squeak to
> C/C++ to GCC to Metal.

	Yes, it's a cool idea. The problem is it's not as portable as
going through C/C++ and GCC.

	I think the named primitives plugin and Slang may be a more
pratical solution.

	I hope Hans-Martin will correct me where I am wrong and share
his experience with us.

	Cheers,

	PhiHo.