[Q][VM][ENH][RFH][COMP] Request For Help : CompilerPlugin

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 4 00:40:22 UTC 2002

"PhiHo Hoang" <phiho.hoang at rogers.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> 	Actually, I think we do not need an image to run the bytecode.
> We need an ObjectMemory to load and 'link' the objects (bytecode). The
> (bytecode) InterpreterPlugin will 'run' them with the help of all
> numbered primitives in the PrimitivesPlugin and other named primitives
> in the regular plugins. Did I miss anything ?
Err, well how about the classes to hold the methoddictionaries to hold the compiledmethods? And maybe a few important objects here and there? Smalltalk f'rinstance?

While one could, technically, generate an image from scratch each time you start up (I did a system that did this once a long time ago and I think maybe LittleSmalltalk still does) it is a pretty pointless exercise in general. After all, an image contains all that stuff already compiled, generated, linked together, what have you. It loads at disk-to-memory speeds, requires (maybe) a run through to swizzle pointers and there you are. Much faster. Unless of course your image includes huge amounts of complex startup related code completely uninteresting to most users...

tim

Every program in development at MIT expands until it can read mail.