HV intro (was Re: Squeak SSP-- huh?)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Apr 4 19:28:28 UTC 2002

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Please, please, please, all you folks working on assorted web support stuff,
> get together and try to agree on as much as possible in commonality. IT would
> be much better for all those of use that want to _use_ the stuff if you could
> agree on a main strategy and then share the work.

Hmm.  By the same logic, Squeak should abandon Morphic and move to the
VisualWorks UI framework.  The three web tools presented - Seaside, SSP,
and HV - all have very different goals and appeal to very different
mindsets.  A lot of the really common stuff is done by Comanche; above
that level, there is unavoidably going to divergence, as different people
have different needs and different ways of working (just because *I*
happen to know that Seaside is the One True Way to write web
applications, doesn't mean the rest of the world has yet reached
enlightenment).

> So much remains to be done
> and having all of you trying to do all of it independently is only adding to
> the wait. Heavens, with several knowledgable people working on the subject,
> maybe somebody might even be able to document it properly!

Hey, download Seaside, work through the tutorials, examine all the
examples, and then let us know what a) remains to be done, and b) wants
better documentation.  The answers are "lots" and "lots", of course, but the
situation may be better than you think.

Cheers,
Avi