Interprocess communication...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 5 11:11:48 UTC 2002

We are fiddling around with networking code and we are thinking about
coding up classes called SharedBufferStream and
SharedBidirectionalStream.

We have multiple Squeak processes that wants to talk with each other
using something similar to SocketStreams (the one in Comanche). A
SocketStream is more or less a Streamlike Socket - an object with Stream
protocol for bidirectional communication of bytes/strings.

We have looked at SharedQueue, BufferStream and SocketStream and we
thought that first we need a BufferStream that is "Process safe" - that
could be used as a SharedQueue but being character/byte based instead of
object-based.

Then by using two of those (like done in SocketStream, one for read and
one for write) in one object which will work like a SocketStream but
with the difference that the "guy in the other end" is another Squeak
process and not a Socket. That would be the SharedBidirectionalStream
giving us a bidirectional SharedBufferStream.

Does these objects sound useful? Have we missed something already
available? Have somebody already implemented something like this?

regards, Göran