[Q][VM][ENH][RFH][COMP] Request For Help : CompilerPlugin

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 5 13:46:48 UTC 2002

"PhiHo Hoang" <phiho.hoang at rogers.com> wrote:
> Lex,
>
> 	Thanks for the pointer. Julia is cool. I like her. She's even
> comfortable with SqM ;-)
>
> 	How can I package up my FreeCell ;-)

The same way.  There is a link to "Distribution Scripts" from the Julia
Explorer page with the details.  In fact, packaging FreeCell might make
a more interesting example than packaging Julia Explorer.  :)  I just
happened to have written a program I wanted to show some non-Squeak
people, and so took the excuse to play with packaging issues.

> 	But, how do I suppose to compare her to the "image for a '3 + 4'
> (was it less than 10K
> > ?)" ? Did I miss something ?

If your interest is in distributing an easy-to-install application, then
what is the point of having a tiny image?  If you really want to help
the distribution of applications to non-Squeak people, then working on
the distribution scripts on the above page seems more helpful.  For what
it's worth, the image for Julia Explorer is around 7 megabytes.  I made
no effort to shrink it, and don't really see the point.

Now, minimal images are *elegant*, and elegance is its own reward.  :)
But actually sending people a nice program you have written is also a
nice reward!

-Lex