Personal Dynamic Media Article

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Apr 5 19:38:32 UTC 2002

Jerry --

Thanks very much for doing this.

For those who are interested, this was originally a proposal to NSF
in 1975 (written by Adele Goldberg and myself) to get support for
large scale longitudinal studies of the effects of Smalltalk-72
programming by children. NSF deemed this to be much too controversial
(they were funding Seymour Papert at the time and were starting to
get cold feet about LOGO as well) and turned down our request.

In 1976 we edited the proposal and published this orange PARC report.
Then we got asked to do an article for IEEE Computer, and Adele
decided to really edit it down. So this is a hefty superset of the
IEEE Computer article. Then I got asked to do a Scientific American
article for their special issue on Microcomputing for Sept 77. (We
should scan that one in also ... .)

Cheers,

Alan

------