[SqF]Report of VM Construction Project for Apr '02

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Sat Apr 6 04:33:32 UTC 2002

At 4:51 PM -0800 4/5/02, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>Second report, Fri 5th April 2002
>
>As of this writing, VMMaker is now up to version 6 and is available
>at
>http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/VMMaker-3-2-version6.1.cs
>though in general you should look at
>http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas and grab the
>latest version. A description of the new
>capabilities is included in the file.
>
>Some full and frank discussions on the use, purpose, structure and
>implementation of VMMaker have been held. Some of the participants have even
>regrown their eyebrows subsequently. I think that some general consensus
>was reached by the end. We shall see.

Could you summarize the consensus reached? I was trying to follow
most of the discussion, but I don't recall seeing conclusions. (If I
missed a prior summarizing message, my apologies. In that case let me
know and I'll just search the archives. I might have missed it as
I've been heads-down coding for most of the past two months and am
just now coming up for air).

I have been having some thoughts on the tradeoffs of various
structurings, but I don't want to frivolously muddy waters that have
already settled.

>The latest interesting proposal is to change the way plugins are
>generated so that the sourcecode is the same whether they are intended
>for internal or
>external linking. This seems to be practical and the current suggestion
>looks like it might improve 'security' somewhat as well. No
>implementation has
>yet been offered.

I don't recall seeing this proposal (so maybe I have indeed missed
some things) but it sure sounds like something I can wholeheartedly
support.

-Martin