Squeak and Java (was Request For Help : CompilerPlugin)

Sean Charles scharles at nildram.co.uk
Wed Apr 10 08:23:57 UTC 2002

> Speaking about compilers and the like, I was wondering if Squeak
> would benefit from being run on a Java VM?

I thought this some time ago but actually considered that it would be cool
to run Java under Squeak by translating JVM bytecodes to ST-80. If anybody
is interested I have a CS somewhere of some work I did to actually read in
Java class files and parse them out. I was playing with the idea of using
Squeak to design Java GUI's on the fly and actually add and remove controls
dynamically to a canvas.  Alas, it all proved too much effort so I packed it
in. Doesn't VW ObjectStudio do something like that?

Anybody tried BISTRO?, now THAT is GOOD! But when you can use the real thing
why play with imitations? At the end of the day I prefer to live in a
typeless world. A typesafe world is, with hindsight, soooooooo much work.
What I like about Java is only half the typing of C/C++ i.e. no header files
(why type it twice for god's sake>), Smalltalk is even 'better' because now
I don't even have to import anything or flesh out a class body. I think the
*real* benefit of Smalltalk, IMHO, is that you really do spend time on the
solution, not on the language. I have never found another language that is
as concise and yet as readable and comprehensible as ST. Sometimes it's
better than English because of the lack of ambiguities and so on.

Lifestyle>>dailyProcess
    | job | "All jobs are temporary!"
    sunShining
          ifTrue: [ self applySunBlock;
                         driveVWBusToBeach;
                         getChilled ]
          ifFalse:[ self driveVWBusToBeach;
                         getChilled ].
          job quit.
          self explore. "Name me ANY language that allows such

Of course, I could have made that better with a subroutine...

Another good tool I've played with is called BATJAC, a Smalltalk like IDE
for Java. I can't remember the URL offhand but a google for same will get
you there. That shows great promise but it's *still* Java!

Stroll On!
Sean.