[Q][VM][ENH][RFH][COMP] Request For Help : CompilerPlugin

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Apr 10 20:01:03 UTC 2002

>At 12:22 PM 4/9/2002 +1200, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>>Karl Goiser <kgoiser at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>         Speaking about compilers and the like, I was wondering if Squeak
>>         would benefit from being run on a Java VM?
>  >

Actually I remember way back a few years (3-4?) someone actually
attempted to write a Smalltalk system on top of the Java VM for the
reasons given (IE everywhere, accepted etc etc). However in the demos
I saw (OOPSLA I belive) it was dreadfully slow and they found as
pointed out here the Java VM does not lend itself to supporting other
languages.

Now since we are discussing this, I'll point out the target really
should be the .NET VM where smallscript for example is running. I
believe David challenged us oh a year or two back to port Squeak to
that platform.