Squeak VM for Darwin/X11R6 for PPC?

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Apr 10 23:31:02 UTC 2002

At 3:31 PM -0700 4/10/02, John M McIntosh wrote:

>Well these ones are the responsibility of the compiler! Somewhere
>I'd think there is a table that explains what they are. That or you
>need a -DPPC in the make file.
>
>So like looking in Apple's gcc source tree for darwin
>gcc/config/rs6000/macos.h
>
>I see
>#define CPP_PREDEFINES "-D__ppc__ -D__NATURAL_ALIGNMENT__ -D_POWER
>-D__BIG_ENDIAN__ -D__APPLE__ -Asystem(MacOS) -Acp
>u(powerpc) -Amachine(powerpc)"

[...]

>So you'll notice the missing -D_POWER, which is why I added the __APPLE__
>
>I wonder if there is  some magic compiler flag that will dump the
>current defines.
>
>But you are right there are a few defines in Squeak that should be documented.

This is useful information. But if I know what development
environment I'm trying to compile under, I can usually find
documentation of what variables it defines, though that can take some
time.

What I have trouble doing is looking at a Squeak header file and
telling which development environment the author was writing for --
all I have is the variable names, which may be set by a development
environment I don't have, and don't have documentation for. It'd be
nice to know which environment the author intended the conditional to
test for.

-Martin