[VM] #define Documentation

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Thu Apr 11 04:25:38 UTC 2002

At 6:45 PM -0700 4/10/02, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>What I have trouble doing is looking at a Squeak header file and
>>telling which development environment the author was writing for --
>>all I have is the variable names, which may be set by a development
>>environment I don't have, and don't have documentation for. It'd be
>>nice to know which environment the author intended the conditional
>>to test for.
>>
>>-Martin
>
>Mmm time to pull all the #define's and bat us VM folks about the
>ears until we cough up what the magic passwords are eh? Do you have
>a list?

Sure, I can do that much of the work. Feel free to consider this the
first ear-batting. :-)

Here's the results of a couple of hours of digging. I've probably
left out a few. Some of these I can easily guess, some not. Probably
best to document them all. Some do have revealing comments at some
points of use.

These are from a SourceForge checkout updated yesterday. I've split
them out by platform, because I expected the variables to be largely
platform-dependent. I found a number of variables that were used in
more than one platform, though, which probably should influence where
the ultimate documentation gets put.

These are all (unless I've goofed) variables that are not defined
anywhere in the SourceForge source. (okay, a few of them are defined
in command lines, but not in headers). There are some others that are
defined that might benefit from being documented, things like
TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON.

-Martin

 From the cross tree:

TARGET_OS_MAC