Funny how ancient bugs can get...

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 11 17:59:18 UTC 2002

As light relief for your weary day, consider this amusing buglet story.

I first got Squeak running on Acorn six, six and a half years ago. One
of the first things you had to implement in those far of days was the
platform specific code to do directory listing, creating, deleting etc.
I haven't touched that code in years, probably not since it originally
got going. You'd think it was all functional...

I was testing the very latest VMMaker stuff on Acorn and tried out the
button to delete the generated sources ready for an attempt at a clean
build. It failed; primitiveFailed on FileDirectory>primDeleteDirectory:
- but the directory had been deleted ok. Very strange.

It turns out that I had failed to return 'true' from the platform
specific routine and thus the deletion worked ok but the prim code
assumed it hadn't. The fix is trivial of course, but consider that I
hadn't spotted this in SIX years of heavy use.

Guess it really shows how much proper testing suites are needed...

tim

Useful random insult:- Born ugly and built to last.