Newbie questions

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Fri Apr 12 01:29:10 UTC 2002

I've just started learning about Squeak (I used to use Digitalk
Smalltalk/V on a Mac years ago).  I was wondering if people here could
answer some questions:

The book I'm reading says that Squeak is currently developed by a team led
by Alan Kay at Disney. The Web page also says this.  However, I've also
read that Alan Kay left Disney a while ago.  Also, the page "Where is
Squeak Headed" on the squeak.org Web site only has information from late
1999.  How active is this project?  I assume it's pretty active since a
lot of people are posting on this list, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, what do people use Sqeak for?  Is it mostly an educational tool, or
do people use it for commercial or free software?  What kinds of projects
are currently going on in Squeak?

How does Squeak compare to commercial Smalltalks?  I've been kind of out
of the loop for a while, but I kind of figured that Smalltalk was on the
decline when ParcPlace and Digitalk merged then were bought(?) by Cincom.
But I a few books on Squeak at Borders Books and thought maybe there's
more activity in Smalltalk than I thought ...

Thanks!

Jen