Getting Squeak to stop hanging on file I/O (and to start blocking threads on serial)?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Apr 13 18:47:34 UTC 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 11:11 am, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I'm not sure how it's done on non-unix platforms. Chances are that
> tcl, Ruby, Perl and such have all figured it out. Hmmm, must be on
> one of these CDROM's someplace... I'll have to look around.

Perl doesn't have proper threads yet (though that was tried). It just
forks... Ruby seems to have figured it out for Windows and Unix at
least.

> That's similar to what I'm doing. Start a Win32 thread that does a
> read, then Interpreter>>signalSemaphoreWithIndex when the read
> completes.

As long as you don't call the interpreter from your non-main thread,
that sounds like it should work.

> It works, but it's complicated and (pending further
> debugging) unreliable. Debugging it frequently consists of turning
> off the computer, rebooting, and trying something different. Grump.

Are you using NT? That sounds more like Win9x to me...

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com