[ANN][GOODIE] Dandelion 0.5 beta1 (XMI generation from Smalltalk)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Apr 15 17:12:03 UTC 2002

On Monday 15 April 2002 08:41 am, Chris Becker wrote:
> Yeah, graph layout would make for some very interesting code! I
> have thought about how it could work but haven't delved into the
> Dandelion nor Connectors code. But I'd like to help in any way I
> can, even if it's just for testing. I have some class hierarchies
> that I've been wanting to diagram anyway, and Rational Rose is
> overkill so I haven't bothered using that.
>
> As far as launching it, maybe it could be on the context menu in
> the browser, like "diagram hierarchy" which opens a new window with
> the generated diagram in it.
>
> Heck, in the distance future (around the time that we have flying
> cars
>
> :-) ), modifications to the diagram could directly change the class
>
> hierarchy! But this is far more complicated, and honestly I'd be
> thrilled just being able to generate a diagram.
>
> Let me know what I can do to help, Ned. Thanks for your reply.

I've played around a bit with Simulated Annealing and the Aglo layout
algorithm. I had a problem (probably simple math) with scaling the
various forces so that the graph would lay out nicely. I could send
you the code I've done already if you want.

As an example of how easy it can be to generate graphs using
Connectors, the attached change set is a quickie that will draw class
shapes and inheritance relationships for categories, change sets, or
hierarchies.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com