Newbie questions (advocacy included)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Apr 15 23:07:09 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:06:41PM -0700, jennyw wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 10:39:56AM +0100, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > But sadly there are VERY few women on this list (and thus I guess in the
> > Squeak community). I find that somewhat strange.
>
> Strange. One of the things I thought was interesting about Squeak was that
> two of the core developers are women.  When I was programming in Smalltalk
> (about 10 years ago) I remember seeing women's names, like Adele Goldberg
> and Rebecca Wirfs-Brock(sp?).  I have always been under the impression
> there are more women involved in Smalltalk than many other languages.

Rebecca Wirfs-Brock is one of the reasons I'm Squeaking now. She did some
excellent consulting work for a project I was working on at a large auto
company some years ago. Another reason is my sister Deb, who used to be a
Digitalker, and used to tell me about how Smalltalk was a pretty good thing,
which turned out to be right.

Dave