ImageSegment howto?

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Tue Apr 16 06:26:24 UTC 2002

Hi all,
I'm looking to develop some large-scale applications that use
ImageSegments to load in and out large data repositories quickly. This
is not supposed to be a fancy application or use of ImageSegments.

I searched the Squeak Swiki for some little howto's, but the only
relevant thing is how to make export segments, not normal segments.

So here's my question: I have a set of data files that I distribute with
my program, and which have been massaged into a format ready for Squeak
but not necessarily as a SmartRefStream directly, so that I can use
other tools to work with them if I must. What's the process for getting
this data into the image, and then setting things up so that I can just
run a script to off-load the segment and reload it? I'm specifically
interested in what rules there are to follow, and what issues can
complicate the process, because I want this to be automatic and not
complex (O(n) if possible). If it's short and sweet, I would submit this
as a candidate for the Swiki as a HowTo make simple ImageSegments that
do what you want, or a revision to the class comment.

I understand that The Modules Are Coming, but that will be a few months
hence.

Thanks in advance,
~