Spreading Smalltalk

David Salamon david at myth.sdsu.edu
Tue Apr 16 09:32:18 UTC 2002

On 4/15/02 3:08 PM, "Bryant PW (Philip)" <PWBryant at equiva.com> wrote:
> Lol.  I recall that Smalltalk needs women thread.  (For those of you that are
> out of it lol stands for laugh out loud.)
>
> Let me ask this:  How did it come to happen that nearly every Computer Science
> major is now required to take java programming?  How could we get more
> Smalltalk in universities?
>
> Secondly, what do the young kids do?  What are they interested in?  Take a
> look at ezboard.com.  Hello?  THE INTERNET??  Wake up and smell the java, it's
> everywhere.  And if you need some pre-built piece of functionality, a couple
> of searches will turn up some open source java, perl, or php code that does
> nearly what you want.  Not much going on in Smalltalk.

Much of the java/php/pearl on the internet can be taken and run with out any
programming knowledge experience, the interest they make comes from bulk
quantities. Because Smalltalk application are the minority, that I think
incorporation of Smalltalk based scripting at its core, to familiarize its
usurers with Smalltalk, is essential.

(I'm thinking similar to Squeak's Celeste email client, where single input
blocks of code used to filter email).

Just a thought,
    David Salamon
[I wanted the Squeaklist's thoughts on this as well, so please forgive the
duplicate email if you're on both].