Spreading Smalltalk

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Apr 17 00:13:29 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, David Salamon wrote:

> Squeak server pages, if they ever gain a wider acceptance (which means
> integration with non-squeak based web servers, sadly), would seem a good
> place to start as far as scripting goes.

What kind of integration are you thinking of?  My Seaside app server can
use mod_lisp to operate from behind apache, and there's been some similar
work using FastCGI.  Tighter integration than that (ie, some kind of
mod_squeak) would seem a little strange to me: do you really want a Squeak
image running inside each apache process?

Honestly, I'm not sure "scripting" is the right target for Squeak anyway.
Ruby does pretty well in that space and should be perfectly palatable to
Smalltalk folks.  Instead I've been trying to encourage Ruby people to
use Squeak for tasks that outgrow the scripting niche.

Cheers,
Avi