Spreading Smalltalk

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Apr 17 04:14:38 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 01:24 pm, Volker Nitsch wrote:
> little wish: a browse which understands
>  doSomethingWith: this and: that
> instead of doSomethingWith:and: .
> would speed up examining source.

Hmm.. that works in 3.2.
I put my cursor in a line that reads:

	targets isEmpty ifFalse: [ targets _ targets copyFrom: 1 to: 1 ].

and hit alt-M and I see the three implementors of ifFalse:

If I highlight
 targets _ targets copyFrom: 1 to: 1
or
targets copyFrom: 1 to: 1
or
copyFrom: 1 to: 1

and hit alt-M I see the implementors of copyFrom:to:

> And browseable little examples instead of apis.

There's a lot of running code in the image that can be browsed. There
are full-scale games, authoring environments, mail reader, web
server, web browser, etc. all ready to be browsed.

> "I had seen a similar field and browsed a bit" seems to be the
> squeakish way?

That's probably true.

--
Ned Konz