Spreading Smalltalk

Volker Nitsch nitsch-lists at netcologne.de
Wed Apr 17 15:10:28 UTC 2002

Hi Net and all,

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 April 2002 01:24 pm, Volker Nitsch wrote:
> > little wish: a browse which understands
> >  doSomethingWith: this and: that
> > instead of doSomethingWith:and: .
> > would speed up examining source.
>
> Hmm.. that works in 3.2.
> I put my cursor in a line that reads:
>
> 	targets isEmpty ifFalse: [ targets _ targets copyFrom: 1 to: 1 ].
>
> and hit alt-M and I see the three implementors of ifFalse:

alt-m, ah! i used alt-b, which works with single arguments
but not at: x put: y . thanks!

> If I highlight
>  targets _ targets copyFrom: 1 to: 1
> or
> targets copyFrom: 1 to: 1
> or
> copyFrom: 1 to: 1
>
> and hit alt-M I see the implementors of copyFrom:to:
>
> > And browseable little examples instead of apis.
>
> There's a lot of running code in the image that can be browsed. There
> are full-scale games, authoring environments, mail reader, web
> server, web browser, etc. all ready to be browsed.

yes. to large..
more like
 how to append to strings?
  ws := WriteStream 'string 1'.
  ^ ws contents.
 "strings are fixed size, one needs a stream to append.
 similar for xyCollection. while zCollections have add:"
or "how to find something in an array/collection?"
i would start browsing and examining all the collections now.
and could have a little "fill a collection and search"-demo
simply by searching for "find"
hmm, more a "dummy snippets" workspace full of such stuff.

> > "I had seen a similar field and browsed a bit" seems to be the
> > squeakish way?
>
> That's probably true.

And the adventure begins :)

> --