HooRay! iPAQ Squeaking!

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Thu Apr 18 10:49:56 UTC 2002

At 16:59 17.04.2002 +1000, Russell Allen wrote:
>So far I have downloaded the TinySqueak.image and Yoshiki's WinCE VM.

I'm using Yoshiki's WinCE VM (on a 3660 w/ GAPI) and a majorshrunk 3.0f3552
(930KB) image, in MVC.

Also experimenting with the WinCE3.1Enh.cs from Yoshiki's site, and
studying what exactly it does enhance (it does sound useful from reading
the code; in a 3.1a4332 image), and how to carry it on.  Haven't really
succeeded in getting it to not drop into the emergency evaluator sooner or
later -- does anyone have a later version, or can explain secret handshakes?

>* We need some smaller fonts for menus, browsers etc

I'm using Jay Carlson's "Lucy" font for all that, see
<http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/msg08128.html>.

Before uploading the image to the iPAQ, I have found it useful to resize
the Display to 230 at 284 (for use w/ CE toolbar) or 240 at 320 (fullscreen) and
then setup my initial workspace (presized browser, workspace, method
finder, transcript).

>* What do other squeakers with iPAQs use them for?

Squeaking on the road, trying out ideas.  Very powerful tool in a very
small package!  Exploring its potential to act as mobile information appliance.

Cheers,
Helge

P.S. Has anyone got his/her iPAQ to exchange files with OS-X yet?  (I know
of SynCE on sf.net, but that seems kindof stalled, and I don't really want
to implement the WinCE RAPI protocol in Squeak -- or do I?)