Who has no job? (was Re: O'Reilly Squeak book?)

Stephan B. Wessels swessels at one.net
Fri Apr 19 01:03:27 UTC 2002

On 4/18/02 5:42 PM, "Tim Rowledge" <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Bruce Cohen <brucecohen at qwest.net> is claimed by the authorities to have
> written:
>
>>> Yes!  Think you'll need someone being trained as an ecologist? ;)
>>
>> Why not?  Before I became a software type I trained to be a
>> filmmaker, biomedical instrument technician, and later a computer
>> hardware engineer.  Some of the best software development engineers
>> I've known included a chemical engineer, an architect (buildings, not
>> programs), an actor, and a glassblower.
> ...and I'm an ex-mechanical engineer (motorcycle chassis dynamics &
> gas-turbine design) turned industrial designer (logos, furniture,
> bathroom fittings, more motorcycles, space shuttle tools) turned user
> interface researcher, then Smalltalk weenie for the last 20 or so. I
> agree about the best software people - almost none of the really good
> ones I've known came through CS degrees and almost all the bad ones did.

I'm with you on this one Tim.  I've met very skilled CS folks but they are
usually in the minority when it comes to skilled development.  It's been my
personal observation that engineers and math majors make great software.

> I guess if we all band together to make a virtual Squeaker company we
> can announce huge financial losses each quarter and make 'Market Place'
> on NPR, maybe garnering enough publicity to actually get some work and
> thereby not make such big losses?

Sounds like a marketing plan to me.

You know we often talk about the future and even quote Alan a lot.  And
since I'd been "between jobs" I keep revisiting that famous quote about
making the future.  Sometimes I think the only way to get Smalltalk work is
to go invent the solutions where I would use it.  For example, someone that
needs a technical solution to a problem that requires powerful software but
doesn't have some predisposition that it has to be written using Jme2EE or
similar, would be an excellent customer.

Considering how much horsepower is available here, and the power of Squeak,
I'm surprised we cannot go after some job that would otherwise be considered
tough or take too much time to produce.

Maybe it's time for a new way of thinking about Squeak?