straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Fri Apr 19 03:16:22 UTC 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:37:24 -0700, Scott Wallace
<scott.wallace at squeakland.org> wrote:

> Would you also put these inboard scrollbars on the *right*, on
> similar grounds of familiarity?

Well, I certainly would (and do).

I think you should also seriously consider setting the windows to all
white, or at least all the same (light pastel) color. For some people
(myself included), seeing all those differently-colored windows is a total
turn-off. In my mind, it takes away completely from the content of the
windows, which is what is important. I think the color indicators for
different kinds of windows needs to be a lot more subtle, and occupy a very
small amount of screen real-estate (like maybe an icon/area in the title
bar or something).

I know there are a lot of people on the list who disagree, but think about
it this way -- how many applications have you downloaded that have
discordant color schemes like that?

Yeah, Squeak needs to be different, but I think it acheives that in and of
itself, not because it looks super flashy.

Anyways, just my two cents...

Later,
Jon