straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Apr 19 08:48:28 UTC 2002

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> More to the point, can we have a couple of default sets of prefs? The
> Classic Squeak look (which means *square* windows and menus, *of course*
> :)) and the New Fangled Slick Sell Out default look? :)

Yes I think it would be an excellent idea to have the two buttons in the
preferences panel to restore defaults:

- restore default (classic look)   - more or less conservative settings
for people unfamiliar with
                                        Squeak: lowers barrier of entry.
I can do small utility programs
                                        (in the sense of Information
Center Applications)
                                        in Squeak without the need of
explaining to much to the user.

- restore default (Squeak look)  - brings up the colorful, experimental,
research  aspect.
                                        Many people like this as well. I
heard people saying
                                        "wow this is nice - what can I
do with this", when they
                                        first saw a Squeak screen in
full screen mode on my
                                        laptop. It  demonstrates the
user interfaces  c a n
                                        be made in different ways, that
alternatives are possible and
                                        that Squeak is mallable.

Going for just one set of default settings poses a question which can
not actually be solved
because of to many contradicting goals.

>From the programming side I don't think that it takes a lot of effort to
do two sets. For the discussion here it helps to come to an agreement
more easily if we go for two sets of "standard" preferences.

Cheers
Hannes