Vote now! (was Re: straw-man 3.2 default preferences)

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Fri Apr 19 12:00:13 UTC 2002

At Friday, 19 April 2002, you wrote:

>Well, surely this *is* the point of contention? I don't think you
get to
>just assert it.

Yes, of course. Sometimes I forget to put it in, but most things
I say are always "in my opinion"...

>First of all, we do have to specify *which* users. Users who've
never used
>computers before are use to...well...lots of things.

Well, I don't really know. I'm looking more at someone who is used
to using whatever OS they're on, perhaps even programmers, who have
heard about Smalltalk or Squeak but never tried it. Even expert users/programmers
(like my brother Dave) who are completely new to the Squeak world.
.

Dave, what were your first impressions with respect to the GUI look
and feel, the colors, menus, scroll bars, stuff like that?

And, like I said before, I don't expect everyone to agree with me
-- I'm a very monochromatic kind of person. I keep my windows strictly
organized layout-wise, and don't end up with windows all over the
place, randomly overlapped, so I generally know where my workspaces
are based on where they are on the desktop, not what color they are.

If Squeak didn't allow me to use white windows, for whatever reason,
then I most likely wouldn't use it as a development environment.
To give an example, when I download an application (they usually
seem to be written in Visual Basic), and there are windows with lots
of background colors and colorful buttons, I generally look for a
preference to turn it off, and if I can't find it in about 30 seconds,
I close the app and uninstall it from my system...

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com