How to bring EToys across - any info/outlines/guidelines?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Apr 19 14:56:57 UTC 2002

So this is the third post where I'm referring to the fact that I did a demo
this morning. Gee, I must be really proud of myself ;)

It was the eventlet I talked about a couple of months ago, where I had the
opportunity to try to explain to groundschool children (groups 5-8 which
translates to roughly 8-12 years) what being a programmer is all about. It
turned out that just showing the difference between a painted turtle being
manually clicked around and one running in circles by virtue of a little
snippet of code being repeatedly executed was already a reasonable hook to
start talking about some of the issues.

Anyway, some of the kids were really drooling over Squeak, so I'm thinking
about asking the school whether I can do a voluntary workshop for the
highest grades (a couple of weeks long maybe one hour per week). The
problem, of course, is that I'm probably too old and rusty to learn
EToys by myself, which bears with it a serious risk that I will stand
in the way of the children's explorations.

Is there some material available that could help me drafting some sort of
outline for the workshop, remind me about things I need to tell (and things I
need to keep my big mouth shut about), etcetera?

We've got networked PC's on the school, they're all reasonable Squeak machines
(PII's with 800x600 screens).

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,

Cees