straw-man 3.2 default preferences

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Apr 19 15:45:15 UTC 2002

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Jon Hylands wrote:

[snip]
> >New users who can't deal with colors that are different from what they
> >are accustomed to will probably also not be able to deal with the
> >fundamentally different philosophy of computing embodied by Squeak.
>
> Well, I'm not convinced of that. That certainly holds for a class
> of new users, but the bunch I'm interested in are the hard-core programmers
> who are looking at Squeak for the first time. If they try Squeak
> and like it, they will probably talk about it in the other online
> communities they belong to, and positive praise from people like
> that that will probably spread the word faster than anything.
[snip]

Eh. I'm skeptical, but be that as it may.

I tend to be skeptical about "fast growth", too, but be *that* as it
may. I do like not turning many people off (but not all of them,
interestingly).

How out when squeak launches for the first time you get a little box
asking your "style".

Or heck, why not keep these preferences out of the image for the first
run. That way we can set up configurations and distribute them around
allowing multiple out of the box experiences?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.