Squeak 3.2 UNIX

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 19 19:57:13 UTC 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 12:16:49PM +0200, Cees de Groot wrote:
> Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> said:
> >I regularly see 0% usage by idle Squeak servers on Linux, to the
> >precision that "top" reports.
> >
> I just built the SourceForge VM on Linux, but it still exhibits the
> gettimeofday() problem. These calls eat quite a bit of CPU time on my
> PII/400 (my work image sits on 18.5% with the VM from st.uiuc.edu, and
> the SourceForge VM makes no difference there)...

My Swiki image is doing something like 6k-10k gettimeofday's per
second, and still shows 0.0% CPU usage.    I got this number by running
strace on the process for about 10 seconds and then doing "grep -c
geimeofday log".  If there is a significant overhead from the
gettimeofday, then it depends on the configuration somehow.  I'm not
seeing it on my machine.

My kernel is 2.4.17.  libc is GNU, 2.2.5 perhaps.  I'm using a fairly
current Sourceforge VM. FWIW, I've observed the 0.0% CPU on much older
VM's and computers.

More likely candidates for CPU usage are open windows.  One item that
will suck tons of CPU is the roving-eyes mouse on the initial screen.
Less CPU  is taken by most of the browserish windows like changes
sorters and system browsers.  EToy viewers (whatever they are called --
what you get with the light blue halo handle) will take a good bit of
CPU as well.

-Lex