stuck in critical section (Monitor)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Apr 20 00:50:53 UTC 2002

On Friday 19 April 2002 05:37 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 05:25:28PM -0700, Ned Konz wrote:
> > On Friday 19 April 2002 05:18 pm, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > > My suspicion is these arose from the boxes that popped up when
> > > I hit emergency interrupt.  I hit abandon to try to kill them,
> > > and perhaps their death is blocked by the critical section.  Is
> > > that likely?  Is there any way to get rid of them?
> >
> > There is a "signal semaphore" action on the ProcessBrowser that
> > may help.
>
> I don't see it.  Should it be accessible through the GUI?

It is in the context menu in the process list. Except that you won't
see it for "special" processes (most of the ones that the PB knows
about), since you can cause problems.

> I changed some code temporarily to get through my problems, but I'm
> still checking if things are OK.  There still seems to be some
> gunk. Also, all those pesky little processes I mentioned are still
> around.

You can also choose "chase pointers" or "inspect pointers" from the
same context menu to find out what's holding on to them.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com