[Goodie] Update to SVI -- (VI for Squeak).

Steve S sps2000 at mail.com
Sun Apr 21 21:33:02 UTC 2002

A new version of SVI has been posted. I did not post a patch to the
previous version, since I discovered a little glitch with the first
posting (it was dotty w/LF's). If you are already using SVI, just file
the new version over the old.

This version adds a few of the commands that have been requested:

 - yy
 - Indent commands (< and >) can take motions
 - The | command (go to column specified by count)
 - An SVICeleste

There are a handful of bug fixes. (Thanks to Ned Konz for one of them).

There are versions of SVI available for 3.2gamma (changeset #4827), and
for the the 3.3 image with updates up to #4827. It has been tested on
Linux and Windows (nt 4.0 and 98). The changeset is large (~450k
unzipped), so it is not posted here. I could not get an image segment
going, sorry, but I hope to have one ready for the final 3.2 release
when it comes.

To try out SVI, or just browse the documentation, see
www.swerlingphoto.com/squeak/svi.

=========

Here is some info on SVI for those who missed the previous posting:

SVI is modelled on VIM. I realize that for some people, this may be an
appauling thought. VI for Squeak has the ring of an oxymoron. But for
those who understand the power of the dot...

SVI features extensive support for modes normal (aka command), insert,
select, and visual. It also has full undo/redo support, the repeat last
edit command (the dot), macro recording, the ability to remap key
bindings (to multikey bindings, if desired), marks (which can be used to
navigate from method to method), registers, etc. Nearly all of the
squeak commands you are used to are implemented as well (do it, print
it, autocomplete, etc), using the keybindings you are used to, and most
of these commands work in all of the SVI modes.

Included in the changset are an SVIBrowser, SVIPackagePaneBrowser,
SVICeleste, and SVIWorkspace.  (They just override the method that
instantiates the PluggableTextMorph to use PluggableSVIMorph instead).
There is also an SVIFileList, which is a version of FileList2. There is
a bit more to SVIFileList than just the substitution of PluggableSVI for
PluggableText. A method has been added to Transcript so that you can
open an SVI transcript.

Sorry, SVI only works in Morphic at this time.

There are versions of SVI available for 3.2gamma (changeset #4827), and
for the the 3.3 image with updates up to #4827 (a modulized version). It