Computing Literacy (Was: Re: How to bring EToys across - any info/outlines/guidelines?)

Bruce Cohen brucecohen at qwest.net
Mon Apr 22 18:28:32 UTC 2002

Good point.  The problem is that while the end goal of Boxer and Logo
(and Squeak) is not about computing, they are about  providing
computing tools for other purposes.  So the initial requirement for
their use is that the user understand and be able to use some model
of computing.  And almost any model of computing can be used in a
large set of application areas, certainly much broader than the areas
that Logo was originally intended for.   That, I think, is what
diSessa is talking about when he uses the term "computing literacy":
a set of intellectual tools that can be applied to a large set of
applications.

So while it's not about computing, it is about computing literacy,
that is, giving people tools to do things that were difficult or
impossible to do without the tools.  The problem is how to make those
tools available in the face of opposition from people who see the
question as one of educational funding, or vocational computer
language use.

Bruce

--
"The joke is over when the head falls off." - Scotts' proverb
=========
brucecohen at qwest.net