PLEASE use MIME Atttachments! (was: Re: [FIX] Comments for Set...)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Apr 24 09:43:30 UTC 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> 	On Monday 22 April 2002 06:52 pm, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>
> 	> No, my mail user agent counts as 'decent' by any criterion I care
> 	> about, and does _not_ support attachments.  Be sure that I first of
> 	> all tried using Celeste to send these things, but they vanished
> 	> without trace. (
>
> 	What mail client do you have that does not support MIME?
>
> /usr/ucb/mailx
>
> In fact the primary reason I still use it is that it _doesn't_ handle
> attachments for me.  If I _want_ attachments, I filter a message through
> munpack.  Works like a charm.

Then it should also be no problem to use "mailto" for sending mails with
MIME attachments. Or, if you really prefer stripped-to-the-bones programs,
use "metasend".

> 	Celeste has been good the times I've used it (at least in 3.2); if you
> 	could give more information on this, we could probably diagnose the
> 	problem.
>
> Squeak 3.0.1, MacOS 8.6, PowerMac G3 with 64MB of memory and 4GB of disc.
> Nature of problem:  Celeste appears to work.  First time you run it, asks
> for permission to create files, _does_ create files in Squeak folder.
> But mail never arrives.  Mail sent using Netscape does arrive.

You do not need to setup Celeste for mail reading. Just use the "mail to
list" command from a changesorter. This employs straight SMTP.

> I've been using uuencoding since 1979 and never found myself in any
> doubt about this point.

Fine. However, for distributing Squeak changesets we agreed on MIME
attachments. It would be nice if you accepted this.

-- Bert